Monday, January 16, 2006

Miscellany

Sunday evening, everything ready for sleeping. Alarm? Check. Lights off? Check. Book? Check. No, even better, we don't read at all and just sleep early for once.

I cover myself very carefully to avoid the cold from waking me up later. It is not that bad, I have good heating in my room. This reminds of my life in Oruro, a very long time ago. You had to put on something like seven or more blankets to avoid the freezing cold. It was so heavy that it was an actual effort turning in bed to achieve a more comfortable sleeping position. The waking time was always feared. You could be cosily warm in bed but as soon as you would get any arm or leg out, the cold would remind you that you don't have the thick skin of a polar bear. And don't remind me of the morning wash! That freezing water!

Anyway, the point is that I had all these preparations to be ready to sleep and what? Insomnia again. So I decided to write a short post while I prepare something for a meeting at work tomorrow.

Everything prepared, I will try another shot at sleeping.

...

That was yesterday, Blogger was busy that I could not post it. Today it is even worse. I got a flu. No, not the bird one.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My grandmother's family was from Oruro. I can vividly remember taking the train (when there was a train) from Cochabamba to visit my great aunts during the wintertime. Being a little kid, they would be overprotective and go overboard with those layers and layers of blankets, plus a scarf, plus mittens, plus layers of socks. I remember feeling pretty packed in the bed and that there was no way that I could have escaped should the need would arise to use the bathroom.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Alexey said...

Sweet memories of those times, indeed. It is better to be overprotective than not, though. At least in this case. For a time I used to live at a friend's place, without anyone giving the approval to the layers of clothes I had on me. Those mornings going to school were such a torture. Unbelievably cold!

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home