Friday, August 12, 2005

Never too old to learn new things

I always watched with some envy the skaters that would pass nearby when i was biking. I used to think that i would eventually learn to do this. The motivation came when i saw a huge caravan of them skating past my apartment. There were a few hundreds of them. It is very pleasant to skate in the Netherlands, everywhere the ground is flat and there are bike roads everywhere. You don't have to worry very much about cars.

So i decided it was time to learn now and decided to buy a pair of skates with my accomplice. I still didn't have the pleasure of skating for kilometers aroudn Utrecht. I am still to inexperienced to risk crashing into someone else. So i usually go into the park (Wilhelmina park) and spend an hour trying to learn something. It definitely helped that at this age i lost my shame. Everybody was laughing at my comical attempts to keep my balance. The first time it was impossible since every step i took just made the situation worse. If you have seen movies in which an unfortunate victim is sliding over some slippery surface with the feet and legs going in all directions, you have the picture.

Unfortunately it has been a bit hard to practice because the weather over here is horrible. Is it summer yet? We still don't see much of it. I still have hopes that the sun comes out more often to be able to practice my newly acquired skills!

There is still hope that Alexey can still learn though. Just a few more falls! And once i know how to go fast the nice wounds will start to arrive. I owe a debt to my accomplice and skate teacher (she also makes pictures of my accidents as you could see before).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so very much for taking your time to create your blog. Excellent work

2:27 AM  
Blogger Alexey said...

Dear Elmo, thank you very much for the kind words of encouragement. It gratifies me that this blog is liked by my readers.

Cheers,

Alexey

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home