Wednesday, February 22, 2006

I am in Ljubljana

I am visiting a very close friend in Ljubljana, the relatively small, charming capital of Slovenia. I must say I didn't choose the best season to come here. It has been rainy and foggy these days, and it will probably snow too.
Slovenija - 28

Slovenija - 27

I spent quite some time walking in the city center looking at the well conserved historic buildings. I still have to enter inside a few of those, like the city library. Right in the center of the city, a castle on the top of a hill guards Ljubljana. I had to follow a rather steep path to get there. It was worth making the effort to get a bird's eye view of the city. In summer it must be even more impressive, when the trees by the river and the gardens all around the city retrieve their full color.
Slovenija - 22

Slovenija - 30

This weekend is the carnival here. Most people dress up in creative ways and then head to a village near Maribor for the celebrations (forgot the name, sorry). It is possible that we skip carnival because our main plan is to rent car to visit places like the coast, Bled and the caves at Postojna or Skojcan. I am very excited about the cave visit. If a worldwide ban on computer science were imposed, I would become a speleologist (or a entomologist, or an archeologist, or maybe I just would put google ads on this blog and live on bread and water).

There is a mystery I have to elucidate before I leave. Since I arrived last Friday, the temperature has been above zero. However, there are huge mounds of frozen snow all over the place. I was intrigued on why they don't melt immediately. Maybe it is because they were frozen at -20 C temperatures?
Slovenija - 06

5 Comments:

Blogger Karima said...

i know you visited a friend - but any recommendations on a place to stay taht is small and quaint?

5:54 PM  
Blogger Alexey said...

Sorry, all I can do for you is to give you the webpage for the youth hostels from Slovenia.

http://www.youth-hostel.si/

I heard that one of the youth hostels in Ljubljana used to be a prison. Nowadays it is nicely arranged and is quite cosy. I will ask my friend for advice.

2:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LJUBLJANA SUCKS ASS!!!
I M a native and hate these so called city! Its a bloody village with a whole bunch of retarded people and dumb bitches...so if U R a dude and donT wanna spend a bunch of money...U R fucking welcome

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i havent read your bolivian report, but such a dull blog entry as this one of ljubljana.. you are really such a regular tourist.. and the small town near maribor is called ptuj.. anyhow i think tourism is for sheeps, but please people do try to be less commodified, and explore the edges of life, not the just what is in front of your nose, like castel, river, and the caves.. it is really even more boring entry than lonely planet writings.. sorry if my frankness sounds pretentious, but i can not belive why writing blogs and travel if there is no trace of explorations od unknown and experimenting with lanuguage, life etc..

1:49 AM  
Blogger Alexey said...

Dear fruit, thank you for your comments. I suppose that you are Slovenian from your knowledge of the country and your English article omissions.

You must be kidding. Climbing to the castle was such an extreme activity, my heart was racing so hard that I thought I would faint.

Another extreme sport I enjoyed was stuffing myself to death with Ptujski krof. All while watching the incredibly imaginative carnival parade. I laughed like crazy, for those who were there, my favourite were the family of pigs.

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home